Australian Internet Statistics 2020
Here’s a quick summary of facts:
Out of 7.7 billion people on the planet, 4.54 billion are active internet users. 93 percent of internet users start with a search engine. Mobile devices (not including tablets) make up 51.98 percent of web page views on the internet.
How The Internet Has Changed
The Internet has come a long way since Tim Berners-Lee, the creator of the World Wide Web, launched the first website in August 1991. As marketers, we’re all aware of the crucial role that the Internet plays in our world today. Whether we’re shopping online, searching for a recipe, trying to outrank the competitors or simply browsing social media feeds, the majority of the world uses the Internet in their day to day lives. As marketers, it’s also crucial that we are aware of Internet statistics that can inform and influence our marketing campaigns and strategies.
Australian Internet Usage
The Internet is, for many of us, a part of daily life. There are 7.77 billion people in the world and, according to Statista, 4.54 billion of those people are active Internet users. However, only 0.6% of those users are in Oceania and Australia (Internet World Stats).
Taking a closer look at Australia, we can see that the Australian Internet market has largely matured. Datareportal reports that:
- There were 22.31 million Internet users in Australia in January 2020.
- The number of Internet users in Australia increased by 265 thousand (+1.2%) between 2019 and 2020.
- Internet penetration in Australia stood at 88% in January 2020.
The amount of Internet subscribers has begun to slow in recent years, suggesting the market is close to saturation. However, while there are signs of it slowing, the amount of data Australians are consuming continues to outgrow the number of subscribers.
Search Engine Statistics
93% of online experiences begin with a search engine.
Australians are spending nearly 40 hours per week online – roughly the same amount of time many of us spend at work. With so many people spending so much time online, for any business, capturing this Internet traffic in 2020 is more important than ever. With almost all online experiences beginning with a search engine, SEO is a crucial part of any marketing strategy.
Search Engine Market Share in Oceania
Australian eCommerce Statistics And Trends
A large number of Internet users are surfing the web in search of a deal. eCommerce has changed the way we buy and sell goods and services. Understanding eCommerce, Internet users, and specifically your customers is crucial to succeeding online in 2020. Statista’s analyst explains that “marketplaces like Amazon and AliExpress are flourishing, while many stand-alone retailers struggle to find their USP as brand and store loyalty are decreasing and cart abandonment rate in the industry is at 75%. Increasing brand engagement can be achieved through community building (e.g., ASOS Marketplace), loyalty programs, and a seamless mobile and desktop user experience.”
- Revenue in the eCommerce market amounts to AU$29,730m in 2020.
- In 2020, there are 18.6m users of eCommerce.
- Revenue is expected to show an annual growth rate (CAGR 2020-2024) of 5.0%, resulting in a market volume of AU$36,152m by 2024.
- The market’s largest segment is fashion with a market volume of AU$9,904m in 2020.
- The eCommerce penetration rate is 72.8% in 2020 and is expected to hit 78.5% by 2024. (Statista)
Statistics On Social Media Use in Australia For 2020
- There were 18.00 million social media users in Australia as of January 2020.
- The number of social media users in Australia increased by 735 thousand (+4.3%) between April 2019 and January 2020.
- Social media penetration in Australia stood at 71% in January 2020. (Datareportal)
- 1 in every 3 minutes online is spent on social media.
Most popular social media platforms by number of unique monthly active users – January 2020
- Facebook – 16 million
- YouTube – 15 million
- Instagram – 9 million
- WhatsApp – 7 million
- Snapchat – 6.4 million
- WordPress – 5.8 million
- LinkedIn – 5.5 million
- Twitter – 5.3 million
- Tumblr – 3.7 million
- Tinder – 3 million
Australian Mobile Phone Statistics In 2020
More and more of us are browsing the Internet with our smartphones.
- Mobile devices (excluding tablets) accounted for 51.98 percent of web page views worldwide.
- There were 32.89 million mobile connections in Australia in January 2020 alone.
- The number of mobile connections in Australia increased by 407 thousand (+1.3%) between January 2019 and January 2020.
- The number of mobile connections in Australia in January 2020 was equivalent to 130% of the total population. In other words, there are more mobile connections in Australia than there are people.
Streaming Service Statistics
Thanks to the Internet, streaming content has become the go-to choice for entertainment. In December 2019, Roy Morgan research showed over 14.5 million Australians had access to some form of Pay TV/Subscription TV, up 8.2% on a year ago.
- The video streaming market penetration is around 70%.
- Netflix remains the market leader, with 11.9 million Australians (57% of the population) having a Netflix subscription in their household in 2019, up 15% from 2018.
- Revenue in the Video Streaming (SVoD) segment amounts to AU$204m in 2020.
- Revenue is expected to show an annual growth rate (CAGR 2020-2024) of 10.2%, resulting in a market volume of AU$302m by 2024.
With the Internet playing such a significant role in so many unique parts of our lives, understanding the market and staying up to date with the trends can be beneficial for marketers in any industry. Throughout 2020 we will be sure to keep an eye on new and emerging trends in the marketing world.
Source: Prosperity Media (Matt Keats)