Australian SEO and Content Marketing Statistics for 2020
In the ever-changing world of SEO, it’s important that you revisit your SEO and content marketing campaign and assess what has been working and what has been struggling.
Successful marketers understand that SEO and content marketing is about more than blindly building links or mass-producing content simply for the sake of it. Using a data driven approach, marketers can create targeted, effective campaigns that help their businesses attract, engage and retain customers while building authority and generating demand.
Without understanding the current state of the industry, content marketers will struggle to develop effective strategies that will drive results. Here are some SEO and content marketing statistics, tailored for Australian content marketers in 2020.
Search Engine Optimisation in 2020
Search Engine Optimisation is key to any digital marketing campaign in 2020. Unfortunately, SEO is often overlooked for “quick-win” marketing options, however, it’s hard to deny the value of ranking well and attracting large amounts of organic traffic. Here are some statistics that show the importance of SEO in 2020.
- 93% of online experiences begin with a search engine. (Search Engine Journal)
- 75% of users never scroll past the first page of search results. (HubSpot)
- 50% of search queries are four words or longer. (HubSpot)
- 88% of shoppers trust online reviews as much as they trust personal recommendations. (SearchEngineLand)
- Organic search provides 5.66% more opportunity than that of paid search. (New Media Campaigns)
- Including a video in a post increases organic traffic from search results by 157%. (Search Engine People)
- In 2016 CTR for Desktop searches were at 62.7%. In 2018 this decreased to 60.4% (US statistics) (Search Engine Land)
- Mobile searches for “best” have grown over 80 percent in the past 2 years (Google)
- 89% of people are likely to recommend a brand after a positive brand experience on Mobile (Google)
- Over 51% of smartphone users have discovered a new company or product while conducting a search on their smartphone. (Google)
- In 2016 Mobile CTR were at 40.1%. in 2018 this dropped to just 29.7%. (US statistics) (Search Engine Land)
- 57% of Australians use Voice Search (B&T)
- 20% of mobile queries are voice searches (Google)
- 16% to 20% of queries that get asked every day have never been asked before. (readwrite)
- The number of voice queries increased 3,400% between 2008 and 2017. (HubSpot, 2017)
- Google claims its voice recognition accuracy is now at 92%. (Campaign, 2017)
- Two-thirds of people who use digital voice assistants, such as Amazon Echo or Google Home, use their smartphones less often. (CNBC, 2018)
- 55% of marketers say blog content creation is their top inbound marketing priority. (HubSpot)
- On average, 80 million blog posts are posted every month (WordPress)
- Content marketing gets three times more leads than paid search advertising. (Content Marketing Institute)
- 42% of companies have hired a designated content strategist executive. (Curata)
Search Engines and Platforms
Of course, understanding how consumers are using search and engaging with content is important, but as marketers, it’s also important to understand the platforms this is all happening on. Here’s what search engines and social media platforms look like in 2020.
Search Engine Market Share in Oceania